Similar To: According to reviewers:â€ A tasteful mix of singer-songwriter, pop, gospel, country and a drop of jazzâ€, â€Well-crafted songs alongside poignant lyrics and a vocal delivery that plays the fine divide between Neil Diamond and Johnny Cashâ€, â€He sings a little bit like Charlie Fink of Noah and the Whale, and Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile before himâ€, â€Willie Nelson and Daniel Lanois meets U2 and David Greyâ€, â€A modern Tom Waitsâ€, Also been compared to Robert Earl Keen, Randy Trav
Genre: Acoustic ,Americana,Folk,Pop,Roots,Singer-Songwriter
- I Grew up in Sweden.
- Discovered I could sing as an exchange student in Alaska. My host family encouraged me to join the high school choir after they√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢d heard me singing in the shower.
- Back in Sweden I put my singing on the shelf and started studying economics.
- At 25, and at the time on a university scholarship in Australia, I started writing songs.
- Back in Sweden I formed the band Tennis and our first single √¢‚Ç¨≈ìShyway√¢‚Ç¨¬ù reached the top ten on Sweden's biggest radio chart.
- 2002 I left my career as a businessman and released my first solo album √¢‚Ç¨≈ìSaving Grandma√¢‚Ç¨¬ù. It only got one review but it was a great one.
- 2005, second album, √¢‚Ç¨≈ìMe, my band that I √É¬§lskar, Kasper and a bunch of friends√¢‚Ç¨¬ù. The two singles √¢‚Ç¨≈ìI miss her missing me√¢‚Ç¨¬ù and √¢‚Ç¨≈ìYou don√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢t need your god√¢‚Ç¨¬ù reached high rotation on Swedish radio. The album got great reception from critics.
- 2006, with more than 1000 spins a week my song "Just√¢‚Ç¨¬ù (from my 2nd album) reached #1 on one of the biggest independent radio charts in the USA.
- 2007, my song √¢‚Ç¨≈ìPlease disturb me√¢‚Ç¨¬ù reached # 4 on the same list.
- The success on US radio led to me winning the award for √¢‚Ç¨≈ìAC Male Artist of the Year√¢‚Ç¨¬ù (New Music Weekly Awards) in the USA. The win was a bit of a surprise since the other nominees where John Mayer, James Blunt and Daniel Powter.
- 2007, three months after I√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢d signed with Sweden√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s biggest independent label, the guy who signed me quit. I was stuck in the contract for three years and 2008, my third album "Unfair in my favor" was released through that label.
- 2011, independent again I released my fourth album "Tooth and Claw" that was very well received by critiques.
- 2012, I've played live in Sweden and in the U.S. and planning for the recording of my next album.
I perform with everything from just me and my guitar to a full band with horns and a 30 piece gospel choir.
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùWith lyrics that connect at the heartstrings along with the head and a musical signature that leaves listeners wanting more, Levin is a must-hear artist
Review by Andrew Greenhalgh, Rating: 5 Stars (out of 5)
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùThis is an album that won√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢t leave you and most importantly, it is an album you won√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢t want to leave you. Tooth and Claw is by far one of the best albums of 2011 thus far.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Reviewed by Andrea Guy, 9 out of 10
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùFew singer-songwriters are equally able to sing and write with such passion and conviction as Levin does.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Reviewed by Heath Andrews, 5 stars (out of 5)
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùNothing beats the sense of discovery that comes along with exposure to new music, such as Levin√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s work.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù √¢‚Ç¨¬¶ √¢‚Ç¨≈ìIt doesn√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢t take a genius to recognize Levin√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s obvious natural talent. Let√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s hope the rest of the world catches on just as quickly.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Dan MacIntosh, Rating 5 stars (out of 5)
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùHis lyrics beg to be listened to and his melodies are those of hit records. Americana, country, pop and gospel influences are heard throughout the album.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Vinny √¢‚Ç¨≈ìBond√¢‚Ç¨¬ù Marini
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùCoupled with literary devices and a songwriting style where less is more but the song continually grows to the end, Levin√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s deep Randy Travis vocals makes every track a work of art.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù√¢‚Ç¨≈ìTooth and Claw √¢‚Ç¨≈ì is a fine example of music written for the sake of itself ; not to be popular or catchy, but to simply relate to others.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Kelly O√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢Neil, Rating: 4 out of 5
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùIt√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s as beautiful as it is heartrending.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Nick DeRiso, 5 out of 5
Tom Levin is a masterful songwriter with an understated touch that is not an affectation but an extension of self.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Wildy Haskell, Rating: 4 Stars (Out of 5)
√¢‚Ç¨≈ìFrom up tempo alt country tracks to folk and jazz infused ballads, each song brings immense diversity.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Review by Annie Reuter, 4 out of 5
√¢‚Ç¨¬ùLevin gets his points across emotionally and demonstrates that he is an artist of depth and substance.√¢‚Ç¨¬ù
Reviewed by Alex Henderson, Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)